Saturday, August 2, 2008

I remember America

I remember a lot more things about America besides McDonald and Burger King.I find driving there is easy when compared to Malaysia. Although I had to change lanes frequently on the road, that was not a problem. It could be done with a flick of the turn signal. Then vehicles at the back would give way to let me proceed to the next lane. May be the American were courteous or may be they didn't want their cars damaged if they hit the rear of my battered Oldsmobile. In Malaysia every time I change lane, I am taking a risk of being hit by the car behind.

Once I went for a holiday in Florida. It was snowing heavily when I started. An hour into the journey, I came across a man having problem starting his car. He flagged me down and asked me to jump his car. After the engine rev. to life again, he reached for his wallet and shoved a ten dollar bill into my jacket. I thanked him but returned the money. He was doing what was normal in America and I responded with what was normal in Malaysia.

I like rural America where folks speak like villagers in Malaysia. Once I went to my favorite fishing spot and walked into the store to get the bait. The guy at the counter greeted me "Hi, out of town.Never seen you before" It was a genuine greeting that came from the heart unlike the greeting of the woman at the reception of the hotel lobby - so professional and impersonal. Still on the topic of folksy talks, I remember a man who came to me when he saw the Illinois number plate of my car, when I stopped for gas in Florida. "How's Illinois today?" he asked."Bad" I answered "Snow every where". He was very Malaysian. Then I will also not forget another guy who greeted me "Hey brother can you spare me a dollar"

From all this little insignificant events I made an important discovery- American are people

No comments: