Friday, August 15, 2008

Just to please

Sometimes we casually tell something to a friend for example about a Harley Davidson bike you saw recently. Your friend may think you are a Harley Davidson fan but actually you are not. To please you, he buys a Harley Davidson magazine for you.

Something like this happened to me in Christchurch once. In the morning we visited a primary school where children welcomed us with a music performance. Later we moved to a secondary school and I told the teacher there what I saw in the morning. Thinking that I was interested in music, he took me to a class to watch students practicing on their instruments. That was a situation where he tried to please me and I tried to please him.

That evening I told my NZ host all the places I visited during the day. Then he picked up the phone
to reserve two seats at the music festival in the Town Hall. It was not the performance that matters but the hospitality.

No comments: