Sunday, August 10, 2008

New Zealand Anecdotes

1. Foreigners sometimes take things literally. I had this experience in Christchurch. I was with a group of foreign students visiting a school there. As our host was taking us around, a plane suddenly appeared climbing into the sky after taking off from a nearby airport.

"There goes another 747" said our host. We looked up at the unmistakable outline of the jumbo jet.
However, a student from China was having some difficulty. "I can't see the number you mentioned" he complained.

2. In New Zealand I learned some strange things about life there. Once I went to see the supervisor of the place where I worked. There was a framed photograph of a man on her desk.

"My husband " she said
"Handsome " I remarked "Just like John Wayne"
She shakes her head and raised her aye brawl "It's a shame" she sighed "At home he doesn't speak to me - he speaks only to his dog"

No comments: