Sunday, August 3, 2008

Native Culture

In New Zealand I got the chance of observing a fertility rites of the natives there. It was held in the dining room of the student dorm where I stayed. In Wellington the rites was better known as wine and cheese. There were lots of grubs on the table and lots of beer too that came on taps.There were lots of girls as well from the another student dorm. The band in attendance belted away hard rock music. Some natives took the floor dancing. Others whiled away their time talking , eating and drinking. I wonder how they could hear each other in all that din. Two hours into the night, things came to slow down. Some took their female guests out side. yes I remember it was moonlit. Some took their female guests back to their rooms to do whatever came naturally. An adventurous Malaysian decided to go native himself. He had a tall female in tow. As they passed me, he grinned "She wants to teach me
English conversation" he said. This was among my earliest encounter with the native culture.

No comments: