Sunday, August 17, 2008

Cultural Norm

In Dunedin I put up with Saiful (Not his real name) a final year student at the University of Otago. He took me around and the sight seeing trip include a stop at the city's strip tease joint. We were drinking fresh juice in the dimly lit room when we were joined by a woman named Sue. Saiful must have known her before because he introduced her to me as one of the share holders of the joint. Enterprising young woman, I thought. After a while she excused herself and half an hour later, to my surprise, she appeared on stage doing the strip tease. What I could not help thinking over and over again was that at one moment she was fully clothed at my table and in the next moment, she was completely bare on stage. That was indeed a new experience. What was the norm in one country, was not so in my country. I consider my experience as part of my education in my quest to get to know the world

No comments: