Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rev.Jimmy Swagart

There was an Islam/Christian Debate on the campus of Baton Rogue University . The topic: Is the Bible God's words?". The debaters : for the Christians, Rev.Jimmy Swaggart and for Islam, the late Ahmed Deedat of South Africa. The audience - Christians and Muslims. I am not taking side. I only want to comment what Rev.Swaggart said about Islam.

Rev.Swaggart told the audience how he tried to get divine help for a patient who was hanging between life and death. He said he prayed to Muhammad and nothing happened. Then he prayed to Jesus and the patient gradually recovered. The Christians in the audience were excited. They chorused "Dead man brings no miracle" meaning that Muhammad had been long dead, so no miracle. And Jesus was alive and so, miracle. I could not read the faces of the Muslim audience but I think they were skeptical.

I don't understand why Rev.Swaggart prayed to Muhammad in the first place. May be he was trying to relate the miracle to establish the divinity of the Bible. Whatever it was, I want him to understand, Muslim never pray to Muhammad. He was a human being like you and me. Muslims are forbidden to pray to a human being. That amounts to praying to an idol.

I don't know how Rev.Swaggart got his prayer answered. He wasn't praying to God unless he considered Jesus God. I don't even know whether he was telling the truth. So many church leaders in America do things they are not supposed to do.

No comments: