Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saved by the Heat

I was looking at the globe in my study when I noticed large swath of the Earth surface have been taken away by the white men from the original native owners - North and South America, Australia and New Zealand. Is ownership of these lands today legal or otherwise.

In Malaysia, white men came to settle down; first the Portugese, then the Dutch and finally the Britts. If it had not been for the tropical heat, the Britts would have come here in droves and in no time time the country would be full of them. If that happened, today I would be going about barefooted in the jungle hunting with a blow pipe. Then the Britts. moved on the cooler places like Australia and New Zealand. The native abrogines in Australia were pushed to the outback but the Maoris of New Zealand got a much better deal from the Pakeha, the white man. I consider myself lucky to be saved by the tropical heat.

The Red Indians of North America were in the same predicement when the pale faces - white men - came to their land. There was no tropical heat there to save the Red Indians. Pale faces from many parts of Europe came to settle down. Iinjuns end up in the reservations

I would like to see the day when descendents of Chief White Cloud, Black Hawk or Sitting Bull run for the office of president.

No comments: