Friday, October 3, 2008

Playing Archeologist

Sometimes I am an archeologist of sort who enjoys digging up the past as told in the Quraan and the Bible. Some stories are similar, some not so similar and a few are down right different. Today I dug up stories of Noah where his ship ran aground. The Bible says, it happened on Mt.Ararat (Genesis viii:4) but the Quraan says on Mt.Judi (Jabal Judi). Many says the exact location does not matter. But it is fun any way digging up for truth. Ararat comes from an old Assyrian word "Urutun" a region in Assyria where Mt.Judi is located. So both the Bible and the Quraan are right

However another point of contention is the extent of the deluge . The Bible says the deluge covered the whole world but the Quraan says it only covered present day Syria and Northern Iraq. Where there is disagreement, I think the story in the Quraan stays. It is because I consider the Quraan the Latest Testament in line with the New Testament and the Old Testament. One thiong that is not clear how did the flood start. The Quraan Chap.54 Verse 11 says "Water poured down in torrent" and the next Verse says "Water came out from the earth" I don't know whether the Bible says anything about this. As for the "Water came out from the earth" I can only speculate.Could it refer to the filling up of the Mediterranean Valley with water from the Atlantic? This is only my own speculation. Don't quote me.

No comments: