Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Muslim looks at Trinity

I don't understand Trinity. So I asked a Christian to explain it to me. He started by telling me Trinity is like water that exist in three forms, as a solid, liquid and gas. So God can exist in three forms? I was more confused than ever. I did not ask him further because I wanted to spare him the ordeal of explaning something which he probably did not know well either.

At home I tried to figure out whether the three forms - the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost could be super imposed to fuse into one. I could not sort it out. Is Trinity a kind of Committee with God the chairperson and the Son and the Holy Ghost the Committee members? But then the Son and the Holy Ghost were created by God. Why should God appoint them to be on the committee? God is all powerful. He does not need helpers. Neither does He share His power with any one else.

I gave up. I guess I will never understand it. Or does one has to be a Christian first to understand it?

Note: The Christian I spoke to was Sam, a veteran of the first Gulf War. I met him in Malaysia just before 9/11

No comments: