Monday, April 21, 2008

A Touching Moment

In 1961, a student in Form 5 had to pay RM60-00 for exam fees. I went back to the kampung twice to get the money but nobody seemed able to raise that amount in so short a notice.

One afternoon, at lunch time, I saw grand father at the enterance of the dining hall of the hostel. He had cycled all the way from the kampung under blazing mid day sun. The fisherman's terendak he was wearing was not of much help. As I approached him, he took out a piece of cloth with RM60-00 neatly folded inside

"For your exam", he said as he handed me the money. I asked him where he got it from
"From the pawn shop" he answered hasitently. He was a man of few words. He asked me to join the others in the dining hall. Then left on his over sized bicycle with a large carrier at the back

The scene remains permanently etched in my memory

No comments: