Monday, April 21, 2008

The Door Panel

I have a door panel with floral design beautifully carved on it from a single piece of cengal wood 36 in x 18in. It used to be placed above the door to my mother's bedroom. I began to take notice of the panel, as I lie flat on the floor the whole day while recovering from the ordeal of circumcision. The room and the door panel was a witness to many events in my life It was the place where mother spent the last few days of her life. She was taken ill the result of untreatred miscarriage. It was also the room where she was cleansed for burial.

The old house has been demolished. I manage to salvage the door panel from the broken down timber and have it restored to its former glory. Now it is hanging on the wall of my study and it functions as a bridge from the past.

No comments: