Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Paradise

From the Quran and the Hadith (Saying of the Prophet) I get the impression that paradise is a place filled with gardens, orchards, rivers and stately mansions of dwellers of paradise. The gardens are not only pleasing to the eyes but produce fragrance that appeal to the senses. The orchards abound with fruits of all types, you name it, its there. Grapevines, dates, berries , citrus and melons all ready for picking. I think my favorite fruit, durian, is also in the list because it says "all types".Three are rivers overflowing with milk. There are rivers overflowing with honey and wine too! You won't get drunk drinking it.

The dwellers of paradise are of the same age - 33 years old. So its kind of hard to tell between grandpa and grandson. Folks in paradise converse in Arabic. I think the language is simply "installed" into them like computers. Their memories and their experience of the once long gone earthly days survive death and continue in their consciousness in paradise. So there is a lot of things to talk about to pass the time. Prophet Muhammad says everybody in paradise experiences a sense of bliss and well being. There is no sickness, no death, living forever. Its hard for us today to comprehend time that goes on and on without end.

A family on earth remains a family in paradise assuming that nobody drops off to hell during the grueling test on Judgment Day. A man in paradise who so inclined towards a second wife may chose a "maiden of paradise" the Quran describes "maids of modest gaze, most beautiful of eyes"
(Al-Saffat, 48) There is no procreation in paradise. No seed is ensued during sexual activity. Otherwise paradise will be full of children!

Above all, the best thing in paradise is the opportunity and the privilege to "Gaze at the countenance of Allah" - the Creator of all things.

Today I have a place I consider my own little private paradise. It is my back yard where I take my afternoon naps under the shade of cempaka trees. During flowering seasons, the trees produce fragrance too, but I think it is not as good as that in real paradise. As I doze off to sleep, with half closed eyes, I watch the cloud through breaks in the branches where little birds hop and chirp in merriment. The breeze that blows is refreshing. All that I ask from Allah is a place like this in any corner of His paradise. Any corner will do as long as it is not in hell

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cempaka trees? lol ;)

eMMa said...

ABAH, i'm at work reading your blog :-)