Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Dark Side of Malaysia

I was at a wedding in Kuala Lumpur during the week end. A guest at the wedding remarked that "Money Politics" in the coming UMNO gathering is part of UMNO culture rather than out right vote buying, in the same way wedding guests give a small sum of money to their host as present.

"Money Politics" is not confined to UMNO gathering at Kuala Lumpur only; it is also practiced during election and the "present" needs not always be in cash. It can also be in kind. I was once given a crisp RM100-00 bill. I grabbed it because money and voting are two different things. Money is what you spend at McDonald with the kids. And voting is the cross you make on the ballot paper. Thirty years ago my late grandfather used to get "Kain Pelikat" at election time. And during the recent Kuala Terengganu by election, my son in law was given cash and goodies for distribution. Of course I got the goodies too.

UMNO has a lot of money that comes as "presents" from contractors who got government contracts even small ones like resurfacing roads in the village or erecting fencing around village mosques

I am posting this to let UMNO know that we know their hanky panky. Do something about it before the next general election.

No comments: