Thursday, February 19, 2009

Old Breed, New Breed

In the teaching profession, I belong to the old breed of teachers, who was busy with the students and never had time to think how to become rich. When I finally retired, I found myself living in a three bedroom house and driving a twenty eight year old car.

In politics I think the late Tun Razak was a politician of the old breed. He was busy with rakyat and never had time to think how to get rich. Once I happened to pass by his house at Peramu Pekan and it was a modest dwelling so unbecoming of a prime minister's residence.

Many of my former students today are much better off than me and I guess that goes for the rakyat too who started life under Tun Razak. I like to say a few words about some of my former students who become teachers themselves in Kuala Terennganu. One of them is a part time housing developer and the other one is running a tuition centre as big as the school where he teachers. All are earning good money may be as much as the prime minister himself. These are examples of the new breed of teachers. As for politicians of the new breed you can see them in power fights in Perak and Selangor at the moment.

1 comment:

Bustaman said...

Those who capitulated to the demands of modern living will need to find ways to meet the demands.
The old breed is contented with what they receive. Therein lies the difference.