Sunday, May 11, 2008

About Me

I was born in the midst of the Second World War, in a small village, 12 km from Kuala Terengganu. The first ten years of my care free life was spent in the rustic environments of padi fields, water buffaloes , fighting fish and durian plantation. However with the untimely demise of my parents, I was taken to Pahang to be brought up by an uncle there in an alien environment - a town- so unlike the village I was used to. It was a novelty staying in a house with piped water, electricity and even a telephone!

I completed primary education in Pahang, that was in 1956 and in the following year - the merdeka year- I found myself back in Terengganu, not back to my village though, but to the Sultan Sulaiman School Hostel in Batu Buruk. I was there for five years and after completing Form Five, I joined Teacher Training Program in Kelantan and worked there until 1966. In January of the following year, I got a posting to Terengganu, and while serving as a teacher, I tried my best to get a university degree because so many of my former class mates, who were smarter than me, have graduated then. My efforts finally paid off because a few years later the government offered me scholarships to study overseas, first in New Zealand later in United States. With formal qualifications, I was able to get jobs in MRSM and later in KUSZA which became a university after I left the place. All those sojourns in foreign lands have given me a new perspective of life and a wider field of vision one needs to look at the world

I got married in 1969- almost forty years today, and have six grown up children, most of them have traveled abroad either to study or to work.

Now I have retired and pass the time by writing about the old days. I also have a passion for religions

No comments: